Diary of a Foodie
Diary of a Foodie: Season Three: The Collective
- Active time:15 min
- Start to finish:45 min
- 2 cups chopped tomato (about 1 lb)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeño, minced, including seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large or 8 medium fresh hoja santa leaves (see cooks note, below)
- 4 (7- to 9-oz) whole cleaned trout (with head and tail)
- 1 lime, halved
Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.
Stir together tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and 1/2 tsp salt. Put a sheet of foil 2 inches longer than trout on a work surface and brush with some of butter, leaving a 2-inch border all around. Arrange 1 large or 2 medium hoja santa leaves on buttered foil and top with 1 trout. Season outside of trout with salt. Season inside of trout with salt and pepper and rub with a lime half.
Fill trout cavity with one fourth of tomato mixture. Fold foil and hoja santa leaves over trout to enclose and crimp edges of foil to seal.
Repeat with remaining trout.
Bake foil packages on a large baking sheet until fish is just cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes.