Diary of a Foodie
Chile and Bell Pepper Frittata
Diary of a Foodie: Season Three: Chile Peppers: Playing with Fire
- Active Time:30 min
- Start to Finish:1 hr
- 8 bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 lb organic waxy potatoes such as fingerlings, Peruvian purple, or Yukon Gold, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 4 to 6 assorted hot and sweet chiles such as Hungarian wax, Cubanelle (Italian green frying pepper), habanero, serrano, and/or jalapeño
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350ºF with rack in middle.
Cook bacon in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
While potatoes cook, stem, seed, and devein chiles, then finely chop.
Add chiles and bell peppers to potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 3 minutes.
Whisk together sour cream, eggs, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, then pour over vegetables in skillet.
Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 18 to 24 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.