Diary of a Foodie
Easy Seafood Paella
Diary of a Foodie: Season Three: La Cocina Andaluza: The Flavor of Flamenco
- Active Time:20 min
- Start to Finish:1 hr
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 oz Spanish chorizo (cured spiced pork sausage), cut into 1/4-inch pieces (rounded 1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentón (smoked paprika)
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain white rice such as Arborio
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1 lb cockles or other very small (1-inch-wide) hard-shelled clams, scrubbed
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, leaving tail attached
- 1 cup frozen peas
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably straight-sided) over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook chorizo, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Add remaining Tbsp oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper to skillet with pimentón, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
Stir in rice, broth, and saffron and bring to a rolling boil, uncovered. Reduce heat and simmer, covered and undisturbed, until most of liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in cockles and shrimp and cook, covered, until cockles open wide and shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 6 minutes. (Discard any cockles that remain unopened after 6 minutes.)
Remove from heat and stir in peas and chorizo. Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand until all of liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.