Pasta with Squid, Tomatoes, and Capers
- Active time: 45 min
Total time: 1 hr
This recipe is part of Wendy Artin's From Rome with Love menu. The menu also includes Veal Bocconcini with Porcini and Rosemary and Tiramisu.
- 1 pound cleaned squid, bodies and tentacles separated but kept intact
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) fresh red or green Thai or serrano chile, halved crosswise
- 1/2 pound grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup drained bottled capers, rinsed, patted dry, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound campanelle (small bell-shaped pasta) or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 (1- by 1/2-inch) strip fresh lemon zest, finely chopped
If squid are large, halve ring of tentacles, then cut longer tentacles, if attached, crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Pull off flaps from squid bodies and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut bodies crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rings. Pat squid dry.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté garlic and chile, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add squid and sauté, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and wine and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes. Add raisins and capers and simmer, stirring, 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Cook pasta in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander.
Add pasta to tomato mixture with 1/4 cup reserved cooking water and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in basil, pine nuts, zest, and salt and pepper to taste. If pasta looks dry, moisten with more cooking water.
Divide pasta among 4 plates, then drizzle each serving with some of remaining 3 tablespoons oil.